Mike Brey just landed a commitment from Top 50 basketball recruit DJ Harvey from DeMatha High School in Maryland, and since Notre Dame doesn’t do this a lot, we are going to make a big deal out of it. Here are some fast facts.
- DJ Harvey is the 44th best player in the class of 2017 according to 247 sports, which makes him a 4* recruit
- Harvey attended DeMatha Catholic High School in Baltimore, the same school that gave ND Jerian Grant and Mike Brey. This is off to a great start.
- Our last top 50 recruit was a kid named Demetrius Jackson. His 3 years went about as well as anyone imagined. Basically, Mike Brey knows how to maximize talent.
- Harvey had offers from Arizona, UCONN, Duke, Louisville, Villanova and UCLA. He committed to Notre Dame. Those back to back Elite 8’s paying dividends.
- Harvey will join 2016 4*and top 100 recruit PG Temple (T.J) Gibbs from New Jersey. Look at Mike Brey out recruiting. The move to the ACC and the recent successes have absolutely helped Brey out on the recruiting trail. While he ended up in the NBA, the fact Thon Maker even knew what Notre Dame was is a great sign that Brey is starting to at least make in roads with the top recruits. As Kentucky and Duke have proven recently, filling your team up with the top rated guys is generally a successful plan.
- I had no clue who DJ Harvey was 3 hours ago, but based off my googling of him for the past 2 hours he has seemingly been a big deal since his freshman year, even being pegged a top 10 recruit not too long ago. Even Demetrius was never really considered a top 10 recruit. So yeah, he is talented. Mike Brey is going to make this kid into a top 10 pick before he’s done with him, just wait (don’t hold me to that, way to bold of a prediction).
- Here is a sick mixtape of our guy DJ. How many of our current ND players even had youtube high school mixtapes? Give us Kentucky again! DJ Harvey Mixtape